Editorial: Thanks to all for an amazing Homecoming

This+year%2C+the+Homecoming+dress-up+day+included+masks.+

Photo submitted

This year, the Homecoming dress-up day included masks.

Megaphone Staff

Dress up days, fun assemblies, fundraisers, a Homecoming court and more weren’t necessarily at the front of anyone’s mind with all the circumstances and focus into how to simply get through a school year during the pandemic.

But thanks to hard work put in by the class officers, moderators and faculty, along with a supportive and spirited administration, the school was fortunate to enjoy a fun-filled spirit week capped off by an early dismissal and resounding football win on Oct. 9.

A sign of the upcoming Homecoming week for as long as anyone can remember, the student raffle was not able to happen this year due to coronavirus restrictions. The school was able to involve its students in a fundraising opportunity by way of Mr. Howard Fogel and others creating the Luck of the Leprechaun fundraiser. The fundraiser was a good idea to involve many students and families in the spirit of giving and rewarded classes and students throughout the past few weeks with prizes.

Just like with the fundraiser, class officers were forced to adapt to an inability to decorate hallways this year. Instead of decorating the cafeteria, Mimms Gymnasium and other hallways, officers from their respective classes got together to paint parking spots outside Loretto, with the themes of the Super Mario Seniors, Jedi Juniors, Scooby-Doo Sophomores and Freshman Fanatics. 

To cap it off, Oct. 9 held in store the Homecoming assembly. Thanks to Student Council, administrators, class officers and the cooperation of students, the assembly was a blast. The cheerleading squad performed, class presidents competed, freshmen became acclimated to the resounding boos that come with being freshmen at a spirit assembly, the Homecoming court was announced and the seniors capped off their Homecoming careers by winning the spirit stick. 

Later, the Fighting Irish football team extended their undefeated streak in convincing fashion in a 49-7 win over Brebeuf Jesuit at Arlington, with the Irish fans and cheerleaders providing excitement to spur on the boys in blue and gold. A competitive Homecoming court announced its king and queen during halftime of the game, with Jayden Scruggs being crowned Homecoming king and Mae Whitlock taking home the honor of Homecoming queen.

The hard work and dedication of so many led to a safe, healthy and yet exciting and interactive Homecoming. While many other events have been canceled, some sports have been put on hold and clubs have had to adjust, Homecoming week was exactly what was needed to bring together students and faculty in the name of school spirit.

Thanks to intricate planning while heeding safety precautions, class officers, moderators and others in leadership roles, were able to put on a Homecoming Week to remember.