Students get ready to view Aug. 21 solar eclipse

Class field trip to Illinois scheduled

While+students+in+a+science+class+used+microscopes+to+get+close+up+views%2C+students+on+Aug.+21+will+use+specific+glasses+and+cameras+to+see+the+solar+eclipse.+

Cathedran file photo

While students in a science class used microscopes to get close up views, students on Aug. 21 will use specific glasses and cameras to see the solar eclipse.

Tommy Callagahan , Web Editor

The last time we experienced one was March 9, 2016. The next time we’ll experience one is Aug. 21.

A total solar eclipse is a scientific anomaly in which the sun is blocked by the moon, leaving only a ring of the sun’s light projecting from the sides of the moon. In locations where there is a true total eclipse, day turns to night.

To witness the total eclipse, a group of 40 physics and astronomy students is leaving early on Aug. 21 and heading to Southern Illinois University in Carbondale, Illinois on a four-hour bus ride to see the eclipse in its totality. 

Then later in the day, arrangements have been made for the remaining 1,146 students on campus to view the eclipse. Flex has been moved to later in the day so that there is an opportunity to see the total eclipse until the next one occurs in seven years. While this appearance is rare, Indianapolis’ version of the total eclipse differs than a select few other cities throughout the country that will witness a 100 percent coverage of the sun.

When students see the sun’s maximum coverage, 91 percent of it will be covered. Up until this moment, it would be hard to tell there was an eclipse occurring. Due to the hazards of looking at the sun, eclipse viewing glasses will be provided to every student, faculty and staff member to ensure that nobody damages his or her vision. Even during the peak, without the glasses, the eclipse won’t be as entertaining.

Mr. Adam Hibshman, physics and astronomy teacher, said he is extremely fired up about the eclipse. During his astronomy class,he and his students have discussed how other planets experience similar eclipses, why eclipses occur and have made pinhole viewers, another way to view the eclipse and take pictures of it.

In an email, Hibshman wrote, “I am beyond excited. I’ve been watching all kinds of videos and reading a lot of articles about how to experience totality.” I’m glad that the entire school and country is so excited about this event.  It brings exposure to science, and that’s maybe the most exciting part.”