Fall sports updates

Teams kick off fall campaigns

The+men%27s+soccer+team%2C+under+the+direction+of+Head+Coach+Mr.+Whitey+Kapsalis%2C+was+introduced+at+a+recent+match.+

Alice Brennan

The men’s soccer team, under the direction of Head Coach Mr. Whitey Kapsalis, was introduced at a recent match.

Chandler Watson and Max Wirth, Sports Co-Editors

Posted Sept. 11, 2017 at 5:45 p.m.

Women’s Volleyball

The two-time defending State champs are back. Mrs. Dee Dee Galligher leads the charge in her first season as head coach of the Fighting Irish. Galligher has been part of the interworkings of the program for two seasons as an assistant. Mr. Lonnie Blevins and Mr. Alex Schmitt join her as assistants on the top-tier.

The women hoisted a 31-4 record last season, which included a consecutive State championship.

The squad is led by senior outside hitter Mattie Norris, senior middle hitter Emily Kleck, senior middle hitter Rachel McDonald, senior right side hitter Joey Landeros and senior defensive specialist Emily Lansing. Norris and Kleck alike serve as team captains.

Norris and Kleck have both given their verbal commitments, to DePaul University and New York University, respectively.

Likewise, Rachel McDonald has pledged to St. Mary’s, Texas. Joey Landeros is headed to Fordham University.

Galligher has an optimistic outlook for her crew this season. “We have a good core group coming back. Our focus right now is on our defense and blocking. Our strength is hitting,” she said.

A strong senior class departed, including Indiana Gatorade Player of the Year Nia Robinson ‘17. However, the team has “a great underclassmen group that is pushing (the) seniors,” she said. The mixing of new members and veterans has gone exceedingly well, progressing as the season bounces along. “Our goal right now is to work together as a team and take one game at a time. We try and get better every practice with specific details and goals to take into the next match. Our number one goal for the tournament is to win (the) Sectional and then roll from there,” she said.

Men’s Soccer

Don’t let inexperience fool you. Varsity men’s soccer Head Coach Mr. Paul “Whitey” Kapsalis lives, breathes and sleeps soccer. A walk-on, Kapsalis became the Indiana University team captain in 1987. He provoked a newfound confidence in his players on the pitch. He is joined by Mr. Joel Russell, varsity assistant.

Last season produced a record of 8-5-4. The 2016 team lost in both the City final and the Sectional final. However, the Party Boys play with a fresh flow nowadays, balancing a quick attack and a stingy defense.

Senior Trey Kapsalis, whom led the 2015 and 2016 clubs in scoring, is now attacking from the midfield. His cousin, senior Jared Kaiser, assumes the forward position. Sophomore forward Matt Welch contributes to the offensive efforts, as well. Senior Clay Troyer and junior Noah Gruber create a wall of athleticism on the back end.

The Fighting Irish have three captains: Trey Kapsalis, Jared Kaiser and Clay Troyer. These players have been in the program the longest, and their experience proves to be a staple in the team’s aura.

The 2017 hype started in the off season. “Our summer conditioning sessions were well-attended and there is great energy. We return great leadership in our senior class, a key ingredient to any team success, coupled with young talent, that will provide us with depth and balance at positions all over the field,” Kapsalis said. The new head coach strives to continue a legacy of greatness left behind, adding his team’s own chapter in this season. “We hope to continue to build on the rich tradition of Cathedral soccer. We will strive to win the City Championship and Sectional Championship and hope to build on this momentum for a long, deep run into the State tournament,” he said.

Men’s Cross-Country

The Irish Men’s cross-country team looks forward to a strong season, as they are ranked in the top 5 on the Indiana Cross Country Stats preseason rankings.

Junior Cole Hocker, who earned 11th in the 2016 Cross Country State Championship, seeks to obtain his first State championship title this season, coming off of a 4th place finish in the mile at the 2017 Track State Finals.

After each season, Hocker improves and evolves into a scarier opponent.

Varsity returns a core group of sophomore Nick Hruskoci, junior Ryan Pehlman and senior Morris Kimble.

The Irish placed second in the Brebeuf sectional meet, as well as placing 5th at the Noblesville regional meet with the help of sophomores Joe Mathioudakus and George Wajda and senior Greyson Turner. These runners have a quest for revenge after being eliminated from the tournament at Semi-state just before the State final.

Captains Morris Kimble and Cole Hocker hope to lead their men to the first State championship in Cathedral history this season, since all seven varsity runners are returning for the 2017 season.

In 11 years of coaching, “This is the best team that Cathedral has ever seen, and we have the potential to do big things this year and moving forward in the future,” Varsity men’s cross country head coach Jim Nohl said.

Despite the talent in the older varsity runners, a hardworking group around 15 freshmen show glimpses of a very successful future for the program.

More potential role players in the success of the Irish include freshman Jackson Carlile, sophomore Grant Ferguson, juniors Joshua Hoeft and Rodney O’Neal and seniors Jalen Hischmiller and Jaeden Osmun.

Bella Leous
Sophomore Nick Hruskoci runs during a cross-country meet earlier this season. The team is ranked fourth in the state poll released during the week of Sept. 4.

Women’s Cross-Country

Running is typically known as an individual’s sport, but not in the world of the Lady Irish. “Team chemistry” will play a strong role this season, according to Head Coach Mr. Mark Doctor. “It may be the factor that makes or breaks the season,” he wrote in an email.

Coaches contribute to team chemistry. Assistant coaches include Dr. Mike Flood, Mr. Brian Gross, Mrs. Vicki Roessler and Miss Rachel Weeber.

Last year, the Irish highlighted their skill as Rushville Invitational Champions, City champions and Sectional champions. Seniors Sofia Alatorre and Erin Arney and sophomore Gracie Carr individually qualified for last season’s Semistate.

Key returning runners include Alatorre and Arney, junior Kennedy Miller and sophomores Gracie Carr, Gillian Cridge, and Megan Kastor.

Doctor wrote, “We are returning a solid core of individuals from last year’s team and have a chance to field one of our best teams ever. However, it’s going to take a lot of work and commitment. We have four athletes who have had State meet experience in either cross-country or track (Sofia Alatorre, Erin Arney, Audrey McKinney and Kennedy Miller), as well as several individuals who have been close and some very promising freshmen.

“While we don’t quite have a big name front runner at the moment (although that may change as the season progresses), our depth should make up for that. Our goals for the year are to repeat as City and Sectional Champions, reclaim the Indiana All-Catholic title and return to the podium (Top 5) at the State Championships.”

The team’s next meet is the Indiana All-Catholic Championships at Guerin Catholic this Saturday.

Football

Entering his 23rd year as Cathedral Football Head Coach, Mr. Rick Streiff is certain that the team,” can be as good as (it) wants to be.”

The football team ended the 2016 season 7-5 as 6A Sectional champions, which was the 16th year in a row Streiff and the Fighting Irish have been named Sectional champions.

A stable coaching staff contributes to the 16 years of success. Assistant coaches include Adam Barth, Connor Barthel, Tim Barthel, Darrick Brownlow, Eric Bruns, Max Davis, Emil Ekiyor, Jere Kubuske, Nick Lyons, Ben Polizzi, and Joe Sander.

Captains Jackson Barrow at linebacker, Daijon Collins at wide receiver, Emil Ekiyor at Center and Max Wirth at outside linebacker are accompanied by more key returning players in Hugh Davis at linebacker, Derrick Hall at wide receiver, Dylan Stewart at Free Safety and Ben Treece on the offensive line.

With the amount of key returning players, Streiff wrote in an email,”We have talent in key spots buy building a team will be key to long term success. We must have some young players step up  and play well early in order to create a foundation for tournament success.”

The following seniors have verbally committed to their respective colleges: Barrow, Toledo; Collins;, Indiana State; Davis, Boston College; Ekiyor, Michigan; Stepp, Notre Dame.

Men’s Tennis

The Irish Netters return to another fall hungry for success. Varsity head coach Mark Noe enters his 16th season leading the program. He is joined by assistant coach Dale Seipel.

His Varsity club features freshmen Ethan Eckhart and Levi Wojtalik, juniors Kyle Kluger and Abe Wojtalik and seniors Kevin Cooke, Eli Eckhart, Jack Haigerty and Brenden Vail.

The 2016 journey ended with a record of 8-9 and with a ranking outside the top ten teams, which left the Irish Netters unsatisfied.

Key returners Abe Wojtalik and Eli Eckhart double as essential players and captains that are necessary to the Irish Netters success this year.

Their experience serves detrimental to the group’s triumphs.

“Our goal is to see improvement and skill levels taken up a notch compared to last season,” wrote Noe.

“We need to work on our maturity level and our demeanor on how to handle stress during big points and matches throughout the season,” Noe said.

“Our schedule has nearly half of our matches playing top ten teams. The main goal is to make adjustments and improve the little details that come with improving our games,” he said, “and continually getting in better shape throughout the season to make a run for the Sectional and beyond.”

Women’s Soccer

As varsity women’s soccer Head Coach Marc Behringer enters his 21st season leading the women’s soccer program, he is accompanied by Kevin Collins who assumes the assistant coaching position.

Last season produced a record of 9-7-2. The 2016 season ended with a loss in the Sectional final, but the team plans to work hard and, “win a 2A State championship after repeating as City champions,” Behringer wrote in an email.

Last year, the Lady Irish had a major overtime win against Bishop Chatard earning the title of City champions. Senior Audrey Kleiman scored the winning goal with a header from a corner kick from Nicolette Kapsalis ‘17.

Key returning players include senior Maggie Carter at Midfield, Kleiman at Attack, senior Illiana Leppert at Defense and senior Camryn Wylam also at Attack.

Behringer wrote that the returning group of seniors, “will be supported by a strong group of juniors and underclassmen.”

The team possesses a very strong returning group of athletes that have a great amount of talent, and it will be lead by senior captains Carter and Kleiman.

“With fantastic senior leaders and overall talent on the roster, the goals are lofty,” Behringer wrote.

Kleimanis currently verbally committed to Samford University in Birmingham Alabama.