The Student News Site of Cathedral High School | Indianapolis, Indiana

THE MEGAPHONE

International Baccalaureate to host info night

Event scheduled for Oct. 17

Mrs. Elizabeth Van Wienen, who teaches English and coordinates the IB program, instructs her senior IB English class during C period on Oct. 10.

Mary Stempky

Mary Stempky

Catherine Jasper, Co-Editor-in-Chief

When students complete their sophomore year, they face an option of whether to pursue International Baccalaureate classes. On Oct. 17, the IB department hopes to inform students and their families about the program’s benefits.

IB coordinator and English teacher Mrs. Elizabeth VanWienen wrote in an email, “This is a wonderful opportunity to hear about a unique program we have at Cathedral. Junior and senior students can take IB courses individually or as part of the entire diploma program. Additionally, IB courses are offered to all academic levels. It is very important to begin preparing one’s schedule for IB classes as a freshman or sophomore.”

The night is full of activities, including dinner, musical entertainment by seniors Kalysta Lee, Maggie Lengerich, Chase Santamaria and Nicolas Widel and junior Mary Kate Temple and a presentation of information about both the IB courses offered and the program as a whole.

“This is a very important night for the IB program as there is a great deal of information regarding course offerings, schedule suggestions, rationale for taking the program and explanation of what makes this program unique and successful.

“This night will provide necessary information to students and their families that will help in making the decision on whether or not IB is a good program for them,” VanWienen said.

The information night will take place on Oct. 17 in the Shiel Student Life Center from 6 to 8 p.m. All interested eighth graders, freshmen and sophomores along with their families are invited. Registration for this event is encouraged and closes Oct. 13. To register, go to www.gocathedral.com/IB2017. 

Van Wienen said she encourages students and their families to attend if they are interested. She said, “At the heart of the IB program is the idea of international mindedness. IB courses focus on what this means and encourage students to learn in a more global sense through attributes including inquiry, courageousness and building on current passions of the student.”