THE MEGAPHONE

• April 25Day 4 | ISTEP special schedule | No flex | Classes start at 9:50 | Video game tournament in commons at 3:15

Seniors recall Open House memories

Annual event scheduled for Nov. 9

A+car+in+the+teacher%27s+lot+next+to+the+Welch+Activity+Center+sports+a+magnet+publicizing+the+Nov.+9+Open+House.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Seniors recall Open House memories

A car in the teacher's lot next to the Welch Activity Center sports a magnet publicizing the Nov. 9 Open House.

Andrew de las Alas

Andrew de las Alas

Andrew de las Alas

Andrew de las Alas, Reporter

As the school prepares for the upcoming Open House on Nov. 9 with an expected flood of potential incoming families, two seniors recall their Open House experiences.

Senior Bridget McCarthy said she gave a tour as a freshman. McCarthy said she answered some basic questions about the school’s history. She says that overall it was a good experience, and “even if you don’t know a lot about the school, it definitely pushes you out of your comfort zone, and that’s what growing up is about, especially in high school.”

Senior Adriana Salgado said she also gave a family a tour in her freshman year, but also worked in the German classroom in her junior year with German teacher Mr. Joshua Payne for extra credit. Salgado said that she enjoyed helping in the classroom more, because it was easier to stay on task and to stay focused. She said that the parents are the ones who asked the most questions. Salgado said, “It was a good opportunity to help people get to know the program.”

Enrollment coordinator Mrs. Maribeth Cloud ‘86 said  that this year’s Open House should be a good time. In the last few weeks, she says that the new Parent Ambassador Team helped distribute Open House signs before and after school. Cloud said that for the first time the Open House signs were all handed out.

Cloud said that the energy levels are going up as teachers prepare their rooms and students sign up to be tour guides. During the actual Open House, Cloud said she is excited to see the choir perform under the new director, Mrs. Marian Bender. A change from past years is that tour guides will eat dinner before the tours start. and that students can earn one hour of service.