THE MEGAPHONE

Faculty, staff share their memories of Kassie

Class of 2015 member dies in tragic accident

Kassie+Braun+%2715+%28back+row%2C+second+from+right%29+poses+after+receiving+a+Moreau+Scholarship+at+St.+Edward%27s+University+in+Austin%2C+Texas.+
Kassie Braun '15 (back row, second from right) poses after receiving a Moreau Scholarship at St. Edward's University in Austin, Texas.

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

Kassie Braun ’15 has passed away, according to information released by Mrs. Grace Trahan Rodecap, director of marketing.

In an email that was sent to students, faculty and staff, Rodecap wrote, “(Braun was) a student at St. Edward’s University in Austin, Texas. She was taking part in a Semester at Sea program in Myanmar, formerly Burma. According to witnesses, (Braun) suffered injuries during an accidental fall.”

On Nov. 7, the chapel was open all day for prayers and reflection. The counseling office will be available throughout the coming days for both students and staff. After school on Nov. 7, a prayer service was to take place is the Shiel Student Life Center.

Two teachers shared their memories of this vibrant, caring and compassionate young woman.

“Kassie was in my town, Knockaderry, Limerick. Kassie had a positive attitude and treated everyone with kindness. Kassie was confident, yet humble. She knew herself and she was aware of the needs of others. She had a servant’s heart and a genuine love for life.” Theology teacher Ms. Katie Klee

“I did not have the pleasure of having Kassie in class. I did have the pleasure of going out to eat with her last spring while visiting Austin for a conference. She was so excited about her semester abroad program. She was a world changer in the making, and she possessed such enthusiasm and passion.” Theology teacher Ms. Katie Lewis

“Kassie is a young lady who embraced life in the fullest way possible. She was a bundle of energy and excitement. Kassie’ s gift was trying to figure out a way to make the world a better place. She was the type of person who always asked, ‘what can I do to help you.’ Through her constant desire to serve others, Kassie was a role model for servant leadership.

“Kassie created the walk for a purpose during our Homecoming week festivities and she helped build up the student raffle during her time at Cathedral. While a student at St. Edward’s, she has participated in a variety of service projects, including being one of the students selected to participate in service while on the Semester at Sea program.

“Whenever I spent time with Kassie, usually at dinner with her family, she was always so excited about the next project she would be working on to help those in need. I will miss the random phone calls and texts telling me her latest updates. I will miss the optimistic outlook that she shared with the world. But most of all I will miss her vision on changing the world. She was my inspiration to keep helping those in need.” Science teacher Mr. Howard Fogel