THE MEGAPHONE

Teacher’s art exhibited at Butler through Nov. 22

Works displayed in president's office, at Clowes Hall

Art+teacher+Mr.+Jon+Kane+poses+in+front+of+several+of+his+pieces+that+are+part+of+an+exhibition+at+Clowes+Hall+on+the+Butler+University+campus.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Art teacher Mr. Jon Kane poses in front of several of his pieces that are part of an exhibition at Clowes Hall on the Butler University campus.

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

Tobin Bradshaw, Reporter

Art teacher Mr. Jonathan Kane is exhibiting his artwork at Clowes Hall at Butler University through Nov. 22. Kane says he has “70 pieces in Clowes Hall and about 15 in the (Butler) president’s office.”

Though Kane has exhibited his art at various venues over the years, he says he considers his current display his best so far. Kane said, “This venue gave me an opportunity to display most of my work. It is a retrospective of about 10 years of my art. The space was almost limitless.”

Kane’s works are on display in the main floor lobby of Clowes Hall on the Butler campus. The exhibition is free and open to the public Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. The exhibition also will be open on Nov. 13 at 6 p.m.

Kane said, “I’ve been working with Butler for many years through the scholastic art show.” The art teacher was invited to display his work at Clowes Hall through Mr. Andrew Burian, a friend of Kane’s neighbor who had done art shows with Kane in the past. Burian takes dead trees and carves them into wooden bowls. According to Kane, Burian “was afraid that he couldn’t fill the space, so he invited me to do it with him.”

Kane maintains a studio at his home where he creates his art. He said he also likes to be on campus before school starts or after school ends to work in a peaceful environment. He especially likes to work on his art on his trips to Canada. Kane said, “Most of my inspiration comes from being within nature. I try to translate that experience through my work.”

Though Kane can sell his artwork for anywhere from $65 and $1,000, he said he is “reluctant to part with many of my pieces, because they are very personal to me. I don’t rely on selling art to make a living, so I don’t have to sell my art unless I want to. All the pieces are interconnected to experiences in my life.”

Rather than for money, Kane says he paints to “try to create permanence, or a lasting memory connection, with things that are important to me.”

“I’m glad to be an artist,” said Kane, “and I paint not only because I love to, but because I have to. An exhibition is one way that I can share my work with others.”