Senior accepted to three service academies

Seth Bolden weighs options for future

Senior+Seth+Bolden%2C+far+right%2C+in+his+C+period+English+class.+

Erin O'Neill

Senior Seth Bolden, far right, in his C period English class.

Erin O'Neill, Reporter

As so many high school seniors come to learn, life is full of choices, and senior Seth Bolden has a rather difficult choice to make, as he has recently received appointments to three of the five top military academies in the country.

Bolden received appointment letters to the the United States Air Force Academy, the United States Military Academy (West Point) and the United States Naval Academy.

Bolden said he chose to apply to so many academies because he wanted to maximize his opportunities to serve. He said, “I was told by everyone who has been through the process before to apply to all of them.”

He added, “I have always wanted serve in the military and the academies give me the best opportunity to serve at such an elevated capacity.”

Additionally, Bolden has also received a letter of assurance from the United States Coast Guard Academy.

While Bolden does not yet know which academy he will attend, he said, “As of right now, I have ideas in my head but those can change at anytime, especially since I have been admitted into traditional civilian schools with the opportunity to do ROTC.”

The process to be accepted into these prestigious academies is not an easy one. In order to gain admission into these service academies, Bolden had to be nominated to the school by a U.S. Senator, a U.S. Representative or the Vice President of the United States.

Bolden added that these acceptances feel “like a dream come true.”

He said, “I feel so blessed to have these opportunities and it brings a smile to my face to know that I will one day be an officer in the United States military. It’s also a lot of responsibility because while I am attending college, I am also preparing to one day serve in the functional military so from here on out everything that I do is in preparation for a very real job later on.”

Bolden also described how his four years on the Hill will benefit him at whichever school he chooses to attend.

He said, “Cathedral has always pushed me to achieve beyond what I was thought possible.  I have always had the constant support of faculty and staff and they always go out of their way to provide students with an environment where they can succeed.”

Bolden added, “The (International Baccalaureate program) has been a vital part in my journey to the academies as it has taught me how to write and manage my school work.  However, I do believe that the most important thing Cathedral has done is to develop me both spiritually as well as physically and academically.  I know that whichever academy I go to and whatever may be thrown at me that I will have the relationship with God and the necessary tools to be successful.”