State press association honors Cathedran yearbook

Publication joins six Division II finalists

During+E+period+on+April+24%2C+Cathedran+staff+members+work+on+their+next+deadline.+The+yearbook+has+been+named+a+2018+Hoosier+Star+finalist.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

During E period on April 24, Cathedran staff members work on their next deadline. The yearbook has been named a 2018 Hoosier Star finalist.

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

Megaphone Staff

The Indiana High School Press Association has named the Cathedral yearbook, the Cathedran, a 2018 Hoosier Star finalist.

Out-of-state judges evaluate high school yearbooks from the most recent school year for the press association, which is located at Franklin College, to determine Indiana’s top student publications based on specific journalism standards.

Cathedral’s yearbook is assigned to Division II for schools with enrollments between 1,001 and 2,000. Other high school yearbook Hoosier Star finalists in the division include Mooresvile, Munster, New Albany, Plainfield and Richmond.

The Hoosier Star winners will be announced in October at Franklin College at the annual convention of the Indiana High School Press Association.

The 2017 yearbook, which incorporated the theme “We Came, We Saw, We Conquered” received excellent ratings in theme/concept, coverage, layout and design, writing and editing and photography and a superior rating in special details (table of contents, index, colophon and special sections). In her summary, the judge, a retired Missouri high school yearbook adviser and former National Yearbook Adviser of the Year, wrote, “Your book overall has a clean, uncluttered look and has taken great strides.”

Seniors Gabi Hanahan and Myra Miller served as the co-editors of the 2017 yearbook and also are co-editors of the 2018 yearbook, which will be distributed in August.