THE MEGAPHONE

Face Off: “Black Panther” is the best Marvel movie

Sara Kress, Culture Co-Editor

Superheroes have long been an integral part of American pop culture. From the Spider-Man comics beginning in 1962 to the Batman television series from 1966-1968 to Christopher Reeve’s portrayal of Superman in 1978, comicbook superheroes have played a role in much of America’s iconic media.

The Marvel Cinematic Universe has continued that tradition. Since the MCU began with the release of “Iron Man” in 2008, Marvel movies have earned their place among the greats of the superhero world. They have the perfect blend of heart-stopping action, engaging plot and three-dimensional characters. However, although every movie that has emerged from Marvel Studios is enjoyable, some of their movies are better than others. As for the best Marvel movie, one film clearly stands above the rest: “Black Panther.”

“Black Panther” exists on a higher plane than the rest of the Marvel movies. Most notable is the movie’s top-notch acting. With Oscar-nominated stars like Lupita Nyong’o and Daniel Kaluuya, along with charismatic leads Chadwick Boseman and Michael B. Jordan, the actors knock this movie out of the park. Each actor truly brings his character to life, making the film more believable and enjoyable.

The characterization in Black Panther is phenomenal, especially in regards to Erik Killmonger. He is a fantastic three-dimensional villain. By revealing each character’s point of view, including Killmonger’s, the movie allows the audience to choose who to side with, while also engaging in cutting social commentary.

Instead of a typical battle between good and evil, “Black Panther” exhibits a more complicated conflict about personal and social responsibility and all the gray area that accompanies it. Because of this, the storyline of the film is far more interesting than a typical hero vs. villain showdown.

On the other hand, the action sequences in the movie are amazing , especially those between T’challa, the protagonist, and Killmonger. Marvel Studios lives up to its reputation with “Black Panther”’s fight scenes.

Another aspect of the movie that stands above other Marvel movies is the stunning visuals. The film’s depiction of the fictional country of Wakanda is beautiful, colorful and full of life.

“Black Panther” is by far the most beautiful, most Marvel-ous movie.

About the Writer
Sara Kress, Reporter
I am involved in irish dancing, Catheatre and cross-country. I joined the Megaphone because I like to write and realized this would be a great English elective to pursue.