Sept. 22 Shack City event postponed

Too many schedule conflicts, campus ministry director says

This+year%27s+Shack+City%2C+originally+schedule+for+Sept.+22%2C+has+been+postposed+and+will+take+place+later+in+the+school+year+on+a+date+yet+to+be+determined.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Sept. 22 Shack City event postponed

This year's Shack City, originally schedule for Sept. 22, has been postposed and will take place later in the school year on a date yet to be determined.

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

Photo submitted

Andrew de las Alas, Reporter

In years past, students have joined to experience homelessness for one night.

However, this year Shack City has been rescheduled from Sept. 22 to a date that has yet to be determined. Director of campus ministry Mrs. Charlene Witka said that the event change is due to numerous schedule conflicts among students. The fundraiser benefits Habitat for Humanity as well as raises awareness about homelessness.

Last year 50 students participated, bringing their own decorated boxes and sleeping overnight in those containers. Witka said, “We hope that our students will be excited to attend, not only because it’s our biggest fundraiser, because it’s an opportunity to experience what it’s like to be homeless, because homelessness can happen to anyone.”