Women’s basketball home opener set for Nov. 3

Irish to welcome Fort Wayne South Side to the WAC

Junior+Justis+Gordon%2C+shown+in+action+last+year%2C+will+join+her+teammates+when+the+women%27s+varsity+basketball+team+hosts+Fort+Wayne+South+Side+Nov.+3+in+the+Welch+Activity+Center.+

Cathedran file photo

Junior Justis Gordon, shown in action last year, will join her teammates when the women’s varsity basketball team hosts Fort Wayne South Side Nov. 3 in the Welch Activity Center.

Ashlynn Bakemeyer, Reporter

Updated Nov. 2 | 9:25 a.m.

While all of the fall sports are coming to an end, the women’s basketball season just kicked off Oct. 30 at Ben Davis. But now it’s time for Fort Wayne South Side to come to the Welch Activity Center. The home opener is Nov. 3, with the junior varsity team playing at 2 p.m. and the varsity following at 4. 

Members of this year’s varsity roster: Seniors Katherine Gallagher and Maddy Lee (who is listed on the roster as injured), juniors Nyah Conway, Justis Gordon and Cassie Piper; sophomores Nyla Bingham, Caroline Cline, Mia Finn and Clara Lee; and freshman Katie Bremer.

Mrs. Reggen Melson serves at the varsity head coach. In en email, Melson wrote, “For us to be successful this season, everyone on the team plays a key part.”

The coach also noted that Gordon was named to The Indianapolis Star preseason Super Team.

Melson encouraged students to come out for game against South Side. She wrote, “At home games, you are more likely to have more student attendance, which the girls like because their friends are there to cheer them on. We are excited about the season this year. We are trying to be winsome so we can win some.”