THE MEGAPHONE

• May 22Special schedule | No flex | Final exams during periods B and C | School dismisses at 11:15 a.m.

Baseball team looks to repeat past success

Senior leadership keys squad's play, coach says

Senior+Bo+Sanders+takes+his+place+in+the+field+during+a+recent+varsity+game+at+Brunette+Park.+
Back to Article
Back to Article

Senior Bo Sanders takes his place in the field during a recent varsity game at Brunette Park.

Joey Bell

Joey Bell

Joey Bell

Annika Garwood, Sports Editor

The baseball team is coming off of a competitive previous two years of post season play. 

In 2017, the team went into the State game under head coach Mr. Ed Freije ’99 undefeated and looked to capture its third state title (2001, 2007). “Evan Uhland’s (’17) solo homer off Penn’s pitcher led off the top of the eighth inning, broke a 3-3 deadlock and helped Cathedral complete a perfect 29-0 season,” said the IHSAA State website. The team became the fourth undefeated state champion and first since 2007.

Last year the Irish were seeking a repeat title under second-year Coach Freije, and in State game against Fishers eventually loaded the bases in the sixth inning, but the side was retired and Alex Scherer ’18 struck out to end the threat.

“In the seventh, Cathedral put two men on, but Fishers pitcher coaxed Cathedral’s Number-3 hitter, Jared Poland ’18, to pop to shortstop, then got Collin Greene ’18 to fly out to center field for the final out,” said the IHSAA website. The team would lose a hard fought game 4-3 to claim State runner-up status. 

This year, the Senior Class is experienced with its history in the State tournament, which could help provide the background for more success in the tournament. The team is led by 10 experienced seniors. 

Senior Peyton Schofield is committed to play at the next level University of Charleston Southern. Both Derek Haslett and Sam Phillips are committed to play at Wabash College. 

In preparation for their tournament run, Freije said that the team tries to play a well rounded schedule of some of the top programs around the state. 

According to Freije, the team tries not to add any internal or external pressure. 

“Cathedral High School has high expectations for all of their programs and each year is a different year with a different group and mix of people. Our primary focus always remains to work hard, develop, compete at the highest level we can, grow throughout the season and be in a position to compete for championships.”

The team’s main focus is to continue to work hard, “grow together as competitors and great teammates, compete day in and say out, and find the best lineups that work for us,” said Freije. 

Regarding the seniors and the benefit of having them on staff for three years, Freije said, “Our seniors have been around Cathedral baseball for four years and have experience in the program and in other programs as well. It’s important that they continue to work hard, develop, and produce when opportunity presents itself. 

“They help lead and set a tone for the younger guys and the younger guys continue to push them and compete with them day in and day out.”

As of April 15, the team was 6-3 on the season, losing to Noblesville and Columbus East and splitting a doubleheader with Fort Wayne Homestead. 

The men look to begin the battle of returning to the State championship beginning on May 22 when Sectional play begins. n