Cathedral grad feels the effects of Hurricane Dorian

Freshman at University of Central Florida tells her story

Katherine+Gallagher+%2719+in+her+dorm+room+at+the+University+of+Central+Florida+just+after+move-in+day.+

Photo submitted

Katherine Gallagher ’19 in her dorm room at the University of Central Florida just after move-in day.

Megaphone Staff

Katherine Gallagher ’19 is a freshman at the University of Central Florida in Orlando. In an email, she described how Hurricane Dorian has altered her plans for the first few days of her college experience.

She wrote, “The hurricane is set to hit Orlando pretty hard and (Aug. 28) the university sent an email that the campus will close at 5 p.m. on (Aug. 30) to give students time to evacuate. Many students felt the need to leave (on Aug. 29) to avoid traffic and missed classes today. Many classes today were made optional.

“All dorms except for one because they are newer have to evacuate by (the evening of Aug. 30). Classes are closed (Sept. 3) for sure and as the weekend goes on could be canceled for more possible days next week. The hurricane is supposed to hit Orlando (on the morning of Sept. 3). The University of Florida is closed, but Florida State University is not closed (as of 2 p.m. on Aug. 30).

“I am evacuating and staying with close family friends in Parkland, Florida, which is around three hours south of Orlando.”

Gallagher was born in Boca Raton, Florida, 30 minutes north of Fort Lauderdale. Her family moved to Indianapolis when she was about 2 years old.

She wrote, “This is the first hurricane I am old enough to remember. My concerns are for UCF and for the least damage possible, since Dorian is hitting Orlando a lot harder than a lot of other cities.”

Gallagher added, “My Catholic faith has helped me remain calm and trust in God to stay safe.”