School releases coronavirus action plan

Centers for Disease Control provide guidance, information

The Centers for Disease Control have provided schools with information about the coronavirus.

Megaphone Staff

In an email to students and parents, the Cathedral administration has released the school’s coronavirus action plan. Director of marketing Mrs. Grace Trahan Rodecap said she and Dr. Robert Bridges, the school president, formulated message that was shared.

In an email, Rodecap wrote, “The Centers for Disease Control released information for schools to follow regarding the coronavirus, so it was important for Cathedral to share that information with our community. Also, with spring break approaching, we wanted our community to be aware of travel safety precautions.”

The message that was sent to students and parents:

As you are aware, the coronavirus disease COVID-19 is dominating the news headlines and is the topic of much discussion in our community and around the world. We wanted you to know that Cathedral administrators are closely monitoring the situation to ensure the health and safety of our students and staff.

Please know we continue to follow the guidance provided by The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the World Health Organization, and the Marion County Health Department for schools and communities when planning for the coronavirus.

Health and safety information

The CDC recommends the following for preventing the spread of respiratory illness, including influenza, as the best prevention for coronavirus disease. These guidelines are for schools and workplaces:

– Stay home when you are sick.

– Avoid close contact with people who are sick.

– Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth.

– Cover your cough or sneeze into the bend of your arm or into a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.

– Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces using a regular household cleaning spray or wipe.

– Wash your hands and under your nails often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds, especially after going to the bathroom; before eating; and after blowing your nose, coughing, or sneezing.

– If soap and water are not readily available, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol. Always wash with soap and water when hands are visibly dirty.

Cathedral is providing all classrooms and offices with antibacterial hand sanitizer pumps and wipes. We’re also in the process of replacing the soap in our bathrooms with antibacterial soap, and maintenance crews will install hand sanitizers near all drinking fountains. Also, our cleaning crews are using antibacterial soap and disinfecting wipes to clean all surfaces on campus.

Spring break travel guidelines
With spring break approaching, some of our families may be traveling out of the country. The CDC offers these guidelines for travel destinations and practices. It will be imperative during and immediately after spring break to monitor the health of your family. Also, it is essential to report to school officials if any student has recently traveled to China or other affected areas or has been in close contact with a person who has a suspected case of the virus. We will need assistance from parents to let us know this information.

Operational impact

As of now, our school activities and events will continue as planned. The CDC has recommended that schools begin making plans for the possibility of future school closures. Please know the Cathedral leadership team is working on a plan. If the need arises for Cathedral to close, parents will be notified via text, email, and social media.

Should you have any questions, please do not hesitate to reach out to our school nurse, Courtney Jennings-Sood, at cjenningssood@gocathedral.com.

Thank you for partnering with us to maintain the health of our students and educators. Nothing is more important to us than the health and safety of our Cathedral family. As always, we invite you to join us in prayer for all the sick, the lonely and the downtrodden.