Counselors to be accessible during campus shutdown

Director provides information for students, parents

Director+of+counseling+Mr.+Duane+Emery%2C+along+with+the+other+counselors+and+the+admissions+staff%2C+have+used+technology+to+communicate+with+the+incoming+freshmen+and+their+parents.+

Ava Amos

Director of counseling Mr. Duane Emery, along with the other counselors and the admissions staff, have used technology to communicate with the incoming freshmen and their parents.

Text of a statement from the school’s counseling department:

Cathedral will begin eLearning days on Monday, March 16, with plans to resume in-school instruction on Tuesday, April 14. The Counseling Department wants to ensure students and parents that we will continue to serve you during this unprecedented time in our school’s history. With this in mind, we want to share important information and answer several key questions you might have. Much of this same information is available at gocathedral.com/counseling.

We know that you might just need to talk to us about things such as, but not limited to, the following, so please rest assured that we are here for you!

• How to manage eLearning
  • Things about school that you will miss and/or that you are worried about (sports, activities, seeing your friends, etc.)
  • Concern for loved ones and coronavirus
  • Feeling isolated from friends and/or teachers
  • College selection for seniors
  • Scheduling for next year
  • Mental health matters
  • Other items about which you normally see your counselor
SAT Site Closure for Saturday, March 14
The SAT scheduled to take place at Cathedral High School on Saturday, March 14 will NOT be taking place. We have notified College Board of our test site closure, which unfortunately is happening at many schools. Students registered for this test will receive communication from College Board via email. Students and/or parents can visit collegeboard.org for up-to-date information from College Board, including protocol for impacted students.
Counselor Availability
All Cathedral educators, including counselors, will be available officially from 7:50 a.m. until 3:10 p.m. each school day. Counselors often are available before and/or after school, and this will continue to be the case. Students and parents can contact counselors via email and/or by leaving a message on their office phone. Voice messages get delivered to counselors via an email attachment, allowing counselors to receive them remotely. Contact information for all counselors is listed at the bottom of this email.
Using Remind App for Counselor Communication
Each counselor will be sending an invitation to his/her students to become part of a Remind group. Please accept this invitation, as it will be a primary communication tool in addition to emails. Counselors will use this tool to text students as necessary, and students can text counselors using this same app.
Face-to-Face Counselor Meetings
You still can meet with your counselor face-to-face, although it will happen electronically using Google Meet, which is how many/most teachers will be conducting live classroom sessions also. Counselors will be contacting students as needed to schedule such meetings. You can request such a meeting by contacting your counselor via email or phone.
Important Mental Health Counseling Information
Cathedral’s mental health counselor, Mrs. Ehlich, will not be able to be on campus, just as is the case with all adults. We are awaiting word from Community Health Network on if/how she might be available to students. We will update this information as soon as possible. If you have an emergency, you should call 911. If you are experiencing a mental health emergency, call 317-621-5700 or text IN to 741741. Email and notify school counselors after you have sought crisis support, so that we can help you with follow-up care.
Impact of Coronavirus on College Visits
Many colleges and universities have canceled on-campus visit opportunities for the next several weeks and/or for the entire semester. Others have modified them significantly. If you have scheduled a visit to a college campus and/or are considering any college visits this spring, you should check the school’s website and/or should email the admissions office. Most colleges will communicate proactively with you if you already have scheduled a visit with them, but we suggest checking just to be sure.
If you are unable to visit a college of significant interest to you due to this, and if you want the school to know of your interest (which some schools track and consider as part of their admissions decisions), we suggest emailing that college to let the admissions team know that you had planned to visit but could not do so as a result of our current reality.
Counselor Contact Info
School Counselors
Brittany Denny (A-D and 21st Century Scholars)
bdenny@gocathedral.com
(317) 968-7332
Andrew Smeathers (E-H and LSP)
asmeathers@gocathedral.com
(317) 968-7327
Gretchen Watko (I-O)
gwatko@gocathedral.com
(317) 968-7323
Mary Hemer
mhemer@gocathedral.com
(317) 968-7440
College Counselors
Beth Brandes (A-G 9th-11th)
bbrandes@gocathedral.com
(317) 968-7318
Kathy Pivonka (H-R 12th, H-O 9th-11th)
kpivonka@gocathedral.com
(317) 968-7351
Duane Emery (S-Z 12th, P-Z 9th-11th)
demery@gocathedral.com
(317) 968-7360