Megaphone website earns national recognition

Press association names site nation’s fourth best

Megaphone Staff

Last fall, the Indiana High School Press Association named the Cathedral High School newspaper website, irishmegaphone.com, the best website in the state in Division II, schools with enrollments between 1,001 and 2,000.

On April 17, the National Scholastic Press Association named the Megaphone website the fourth best in the nation for high schools with four-grade enrollments below 1,500.

The awards, called Best of Show, were announced in a virtual presentation from the NSPA offices at the University of Minnesota. Typically, the honors are made at the NSPA’s annual spring conference, but that event in Nashville, Tennessee was canceled this year due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Senior Nic Napier and junior Ava Amos serve as the co-editors-in-chief of the newspaper. They direct a staff of 18 students who produce a digital issue every three to four weeks during the school year and who update the newspaper’s website and Twitter feed (@IrishMegaphone) with new content every school day.

The list of Top 10 high school newspaper websites (schools with enrollments under 1,500):

First: Wayland Student Press Network, Wayland High School, Wayland, Massachusetts

Second: The Standard, The American School in London, London, United Kingdom

Third: U-High Midway, University of Chicago Laboratory High School, Chicago, Illinois

Fourth: The Megaphone, Cathedral High School, Indianapolis, Indiana

Fifth: Echo, St. Louis Park High School, St. Louis Park, Minnesota

Sixth: The La Salle Falconer, La Salle Catholic College Preparatory, Milwaukie, Oregon

Seventh: Knight Errant, Benilde-St. Margaret’s School, St. Louis Park, Minnesota

Eighth: Pathfinder, Parkway West High School, Ballwin, Missouri

Ninth: Highlights, Beverly Hills High School, Beverly Hills, California

Tenth: The Communicator, Community High School, Ann Arbor, Michigan