Valedictorians, salutatorians are announced

From the Class of 2020, 20 students are recognized

Principal+Mrs.+Julie+Barthel+and+director+of+counseling+Mr.+Duane+Emery+delivered+one+of+the+15+valedictorian+signs+to+senior+Henry+Eifert.+

Photo submitted

Principal Mrs. Julie Barthel and director of counseling Mr. Duane Emery delivered one of the 15 valedictorian signs to senior Henry Eifert.

Megaphone Staff

The counseling office has announced the names of the 15 seniors who have been named valedictorians along with their five classmates who have been recognized as salutatorians.

Valedictorians: Jenson David Cripps, Elaine E. Dorsey, Henry James Eifert, Andrew George, Nicholas Joseph Grill, Eleanor Marie Hagenow, Grace Kathleen Lorsung, Ali Jade Miller, Nicolas Patrick Napier, Anya Nukhet Neumeister, Katherine Margaret Rushka, Olivia Lorraine Schneider, Natalie Marie Schorr, Elizabeth Mary Sheddy and Samuel Joseph Vander Missen.

Salutatorians: Meghan Christine Coleman, Clara Alexandra Isaac, Andi Nicole Manship, Justin Conelley Pugh and Payton Riley Snyder.

Mr. Duane Emery, director of counseling, wrote in an email, “Being selected as a valedictorian or salutatorian is among the highest forms of recognition of academic excellence at Cathedral High School. Such an honor reflects a student’s willingness to take the most challenging courses and that student’s ability to perform at the highest level in those courses. The honor is a recognition of the highest of academic excellence.”

Emery noted that to be considered as a candidate to be a valedictorian or salutatorian, a student must have earned all A’s and must have taken the highest level of courses in doing so. From there, the principal convenes a group that provides input into her decision.

For several years, multiple students have been recognized with the honor of being valedictorian or salutatorian, as there are many seniors each year who demonstrate this level of academic excellence and who deserve recognition. Emery said the school takes a holistic Holy Cross approach to determining these recipients, rather than basing the decision solely on grade point average.

Emery noted that this is the last year for valedictorians and salutatorians. Starting with the Class of 2021, the school will recognize students with distinctions of summa cum laude (top 5% of class), magna cum laude (next 5%) and cum laude (next 5%).

Principal Mrs. Julie Barthel said, “I would like to congratulate all of our valedictorians and salutatorians on their four years of hard work and dedication to their academic endeavors while at Cathedral High School. This is an amazing honor for them, for which they should be extremely proud.”