Attendance plans for Aug. 13, Aug. 14 announced

Principal: Greatness is calling us back to the Hill

Megaphone Staff

Principal Mrs. Julie Barthel has announced information regarding the first two days of school.

On Aug. 13, freshmen and seniors will attend classes on campus, and sophomores and juniors will participate in classes from home via Zoom. On Aug. 14, sophomores and juniors will be at school, while freshmen and seniors will stay home and attend classes via video. All classes will meet for shortened periods on Aug. 13 and Aug. 14, but the specific schedule for each day has not yet been announced.

In an email to students and parents, Barthel said, “Greatness is calling us back to the Hill, and we can’t wait to see you. Our three task forces have spent the past three months creating an extensive safety plan to ensure Cathedral High School is the safest school in Indiana. Medical professionals, including some who are Cathedral parents, have applauded our thorough and comprehensive plan. We firmly believe in-person learning serves you all best.”

In that email, Barthel also noted that the Marion County Health Department has issued a mandate that schools with more than 400 students are not allowed to have their entire student body on campus at any given time. Barthel said the school is still waiting on the health department to rule on a waiver that would allow all Cathedral students to attend classes in person.

The first Day 1 of the school year, which starts at 7:50 a.m. and would involve all students being on campus at the same time, is scheduled for Monday, Aug. 17.